Travel Bookings
  • Home / Jobs in Australia / 457 Visa Sponsorships / What Do You Need To Work As A Carpenter In Australia?
  • carpenter jobs australia

    What Do You Need To Work As A Carpenter In Australia?

    Are you a carpenter or joiner hoping to emigrate to Australia and work there? Then you’re in luck- qualified individuals within the carpentry industry are in high demand in Australia. The construction market is booming and there are plenty of job opportunities of which you should take advantage.

    Carpenters are on the Skilled Occupations List, which details which professions Australia is in need of most. There are a number of visa types and pathways you should consider before beginning the application process:

    • 189 Skilled Independent Visa – allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. Applicants are NOT nominated by an employer, state, friend or family member.
    • 190 Skilled Nominated Visa – allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. Applicants must be nominated by a state or territory government.
    • 489 Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa – allows you to live and work in a specified region of Australia for up to four years.

    You should double check the list of nominated countries, which include the United Kingdom and Ireland, before making a final decision. Applicants from countries not on this list will not be considered for emigration.

    For passport holders of nominated countries:

    As with any general skilled occupations, you must complete and pass a skills assessment before progressing and applying for a visa to live and work in Australia.

    It is essential that you complete your skills assessment through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). These organisations have been given the authority to assess your competency as a carpenter or joiner and approve you for visa application.

    Approved RTOs for carpenters and joiners are:

    The skills assessment will usually involve two parts. The first is a paper-based assessment, on which you need to include details of previous qualifications and relevant work experience. This is then followed by a practical assessment, conducted in the presence of an assessor from your RTO.

    On successful completion of the skills assessment, you will be given an approval letter and awarded an Australian AQF Certificate III qualification.

    For non-passport holders of nominated countries:

    If you do not have a passport, but would like to apply for a visa and reside in a nominated country, then you should apply directly to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) for a skills assessment.

    You need to provide evidence of:

    • Qualifications – preferably one that is similar to the AQF Certificate III.
    • Employment – three years (or more) of full-time paid employment in the nominated occupation at the required skill level.
    • Twelve months of employment in the nominated occupation should have been completed within three years before applying to TRA.

    The migration and visa application process can be complicated and difficult to understand. You may need to seek the services of a Registered Migration Agent to assist with applying for your visa.

    Registered Migration Agents

    View the latest sponsored jobs in Australia

    Carpenters required to work in Sydney, Australia – 457 Visa Sponsorship available


  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *