If you are heading to the skyrail you will also visit Kuranda, the village in the rainforest of Tropical North Queensland. And you may be surprised by how much there is to do in the quaint little rainforest village. There are 2 very popular ways to see Kuranda and this is with Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and Kuranda Scenic Railway.
Kuranda Shops and Market Stalls
After arriving via Skyrail Rainforest Cableway, make sure you leave yourself at least 2-3 hours to wander around Kuranda‘s shops and markets, stop by the cafes and art galleries, explore the rainforest walking tracks or take in a boat cruise along the Barron River and visit a couple of wildlife attractions and so much more! The beauty of Kuranda is everything is close by, so it is easily explored on foot. There is a diverse range of restaurants and cafes with great local food as well as international flavours and they are all within a five-minute walk of each other. Food crawl anyone?
Shopping is the other great experience when you wander the village. Put on your hiking shoes and take one of the many scenic walking tracks and trails in Kuranda where you can explore the rainforest and see then iconic Barron Falls.
Top 20 things to do in Kuranda
- Visit the world famous Kuranda Markets every day of the week
2. Play a game of mini golf, hidden in a lush rainforest setting
3. Watch old-fashioned candy being made (and then buy it and eat it!) at the Kuranda Candy Kitchen
4. Relax and savour local coffee at one of the many quirky cafes
5. Say hello to a life-size Allosaurus Dinosaur
6. Buy a home-made ice cream from the world famous Red Ice Cream Van
7. Check out how bees make honey(and taste it at the honey house.. yum!)
8. Cruise the calm waters of the mighty Barron River on the Kuranda Riverboat
9. Explore the picturesque rainforest walks around the village
10. Discover the amazing world of butterflies at the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary
11. Hand feed kangaroos and wallabies at Kuranda Koala Gardens
12. Make some new-feathered friends with giant Amazonian Macaws and many others at Birdworld
13. Take a ride in a WWII amphibious army duck through the rainforest
14. Visit the Heritage-listed Kuranda Railway Station and its well-manicured gardens and have tea and scones or a mango smoothie
15. Try even more sweet treats, and take some home as a souvenir!
16. Capture the Barron Falls in all its glory
17. Ride an ATV quad bike through the rainforest. For thrills and spills go with Down and Dirty Quads and for a more relaxed journey through tropical fruit orchards and rainforest check out Barron Falls Estate
18. Watch an indigenous cultural performance at Tjapukai or Rainforestation, put your hand up to go on stage and learn to shake a leg!
19. Say hello to a Cassowary in the rainforest
20. Cuddle a Koala or kiss a baby Crocodile at Koala Gardens or Rainforestation
Visiting Kuranda has never been easier with a multitude of different tours departing every day; if you have your own car, self-drive is among the most popular option to visit the Village in the Rainforest including the historic Kuranda Scenic Railway with your Skyrail Rainforest Cableway experience.
Make sure you include a visit to Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and Kuranda on your next Tropical North Queensland Holiday. Visit: skyrail.com.au to find out more.