Moving tips for Migrating to Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne
- First things First:
- Ensure your passport valid and arrange for your visa.
- Give this new web based email address for people to use that you wish to stay in contact with. This also becomes a handy place to keep electronic copies of any documentation you may need.
- Contact your migration agent and confirm arrival dates.
- Plan times to meet up with people you need to say goodbye to. Time flies fast when moving.
- Sort out all issues with your current property. If renting ensure lease is ended. If you own you must decide if you wish to sell or rent out the property.
- Begin to plan your life in Perth with your migration agent – housing, commuting, schools etc
- Plan your storage costs both for space and time. Plan your shipping if you know where you will be staying.
- Get rid of the things you don’t need. Sell them online, give them away or arrange and garage sale.
- Start packing the items you wish to take with you – make sure fragile items are marked fragile!
- Get rid of out of date technology – rest assured you won’t regret this
- Make a list of what you are taking
- Secure 3 moving quotations for the items you decide to take. Ask your migration agent to assist
- Get quotes on marine insurance.
- Plan your actual move dates, make copies and backup copies of all documentation for all parties used.
- The voltage is 220-240 volts so make sure any appliance you ship will work.
- Photographed all valuable for insurance purposes
Check Out Australian Migration Agents For More Information
What about the pets?
There are fairly strict requirements for transporting pets to Australia. It is worthwhile planking the move of your furry friend s well in advance. Your migration agent will assist you with this and it is recommended that you use a professional Pet Transport Company to relocate your pets.
Depending on where you are moving from depends on how long the move takes and how much pre-planning you need. Every country has slightly different rules and different quarantine requirements. Check with your migration agent and any Pet transport company for advice.
the last 2 months
- It is time to give final notice on your property.
- Inform your employer of your plans and take the necessary steps
- Get your taxes up to date
- Get certified bank statements from your bank – you will need these to open your bank account in Perth
- Get copies of any no claims from insurers
- Plan where you will live when your home is no longer your home for the interim period until you leave
- Use up the non-perishable and frozen goods in the kitchen
- Arrange your flights, hire car and short term accommodation in Perth
the last month
- Look at the best ways to begin sending money to Australia
- Make copies – paper and digital – of all important documentation
- Keep your home bank account alive – don’t close it just yet
- Contact all your accounts such as electricity, gas, water, credit cards and inform them you are moving. Settle up to date where possible.
- Set up your mail and postal forwarding .
- Speak to your medical practitioners and ask for copies of your medical files – some will do this digitally upon settling in Australia.
last week or two
- Buy a few bottles of your preferred contact lens solution – a very sensible idea
- Return all items to library and DVD store – amazing how many forget this
- Make sure your drivers licence is up to date and covers international driving
last few days
- Pack your suitcases – make sure you have a way to identify yours
- Confirm travel tickets and foreign exchange.
- Check your check in times with your airline
- Arrange transport to airport
- Make sure you are up to date with laundry and dry cleaning
- Put your essential travel pack together for the journey and arrival
- Ensure phones and utilities have cut off dates in place
- Empty your freezer and fridge.
The big day
- Double check everything is packed.
- Double check all passports and documentation are ready
- Head to the airpoirt
- Have your migration agent meet you
- Hire your car
- Head to your temporary placed to stay
- Begin life
Need help, we will find the right migration agent for you
Find out more information about Cheap shipping to Australia