What do you get when you mix some of the world’s best beaches with a backdrop of rugged outback terrain? It could only be Australia’s west coast. A road trip from the most isolated city on the planet, Perth, through to Broome, in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, is an epic driving experience with a total distance over 2,500 kilometers (1553 miles)
Why You’ll Love This Trip
- Discover one of the most unique and dramatic landscapes in Australia, the Pinnacles Desert.
- Swim with Whale Sharks and Giant Manta Rays in Coral Bay.
- Visit the most sacred Aboriginal sites for the Yunjibarndi people, ‘Deep Reach’ on the Fortescue River, home of the mythical Warlu Serpent
- Explore Western Australia’s desert landscapes, national parks, and the spectacular Coral Coast in rugged style on the ultimate overland trip
- Wade in the shallows of the Monkey Mia beach and be amazed at the friendly dolphins that approach
- Peer into the ecologically diverse underwater world of Ningaloo Reef by snorkel, and swim with the gentle beasts of the deep in the season, whale sharks
- The cattle stations, red earth and mining communities of the Pilbara are reminiscent of the sun-baked Australia much of the world imagines
- Hike and swim in the ancient gorges and waterholes of Karijini National Park
Hop on Off Option
Integrity Coach Lines offer a hop on hop off service. Being the only bus that makes this journey, they stop at most of the major tourist destinations en route from Perth to Broome.
They depart from Perth on Tuesdays and Thursdays and return from Broome to Perth on Thursdays and Saturdays. There are multiple pick up points in Perth and in Broome. The bus arrives and departs from the Broome Visitor’s Centre where it’s then possible to get around on the public transport.
Tour Companies Traveling From Perth to Broome
Another option for those lacking transport is to take one of the many private tour trips from Perth to Broome. Many companies run these, and they can be a great value way to see the area if you are on a tight schedule or need a group of people to go with.
These tours generally take in all the must-see sights and can range from basic, cheap backpacker tours to high-end luxury tours. Most last from 9 days to 14 days, many carrying on past Broome and all the way to Darwin. The following companies run frequent tours in the dry season from Perth to Broome:
- Aussie Wanderers – Backpacker / Budget
- Kimberley Wild – Outdoor / Budget
- Outback Spirit – Luxury