What you need to know about living and studying in Perth

What’s on in West Perth in February 2019
working city life

Studying in Australia, especially Perth is rewarding as it is rated is the top 10 cities to live-in around the world. Perth is known to be the most relaxed metropolis area. Perth’s lifestyle is laid back with many thing to offer. UWA is rated in the top 10 is Oceania region.

Although an international student should do a fair amount of research before coming here. They should decide whether they want to stay here after completing their study or they want to return back home. This is important because this decision determines the kind of visa the individual needs.

In addition they should research things such as the course they are interested in, the cost of the course, where to live, the weekly expenditure, the cost of flights and how to travel once in Perth and the allowance to bring with you.

The Australia student visa is subclass 500 and on this visa an individual can study full-time. The visa has requirements such as achieving a band of 5.5 in IELTS. More information regarding the visa can be found on https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-

Before choosing to live in Perth, you should consider a few things. Perth is a great city and according to the website the Economist, Perth rated in the top 10 cities to live in. The economist release a global Liveability Ranking 2015 that placed at 8th place with Sydney at 7th and Adelaide at 6th. Despite this Perth is an expensive city to live in with the median price of a one room apartment costing around $430 a week. You should have your accommodation and travel sorted before boarding you plane. This can be done getting an apartment, a share room on campus or by planning to stay at a friend’s place. It is recommended that you choose shared housing to save cost. Decide how you are going to get to where you are staying once you land because the Perth international airport is in-land and away from any housing, so chances of you being to be able to walk is not that high.

Things to know about UWA:

  • Top Western Australian university and in the top 10 universities in Oceania
  • Has an internationally known platform
  • Has a variety of courses to suit any student
  • Provide courses for various study levels such as undergraduate, post-graduate and research based
  • The cost of the undergraduate course for an international student ranges from $30,000-$37,000
  • There are flexible payments but the individual should pay a semester of the fee before coming to Perth.
  • Find more information on https://study.uwa.edu.au/

UWA provides on campus accommodations at:

  • Catherine’s College
  • Georges College
  • Thomas More College
  • Trinity College
  • University Hall
  • Cost of living on campus is around $300- $400 a week and it includes access to college facilities, food 3 times a day and various college linked programs.
  • A student can buy or borrow text books for studying. If choosing to buy they can cost around $800 semester and can be sold after words.
  • There are any programs run by UWA to help settle at UWA and Perth, such Uni mentor


There are a few things in regards to travel when choosing to go anywhere. How to get to Australia? How to get to the place you are staying once in Australia? How to get around Perth?

Choosing how to travel here usually involves a plane ticket. They can be purchased online or through agent, whichever way you pick the tickets can range from $600 to $1000 one way. The flight tickets can be purchased from websites or travel agencies. These price sometimes include the luggage but sometimes luggage is extra, so check the details when purchasing. The modes of transport once landed in Perth are getting someone you know to pick you up, bus, train, taxi and uber. If you are completely new to Perth, you will mostly likely have to take a taxi. If you are living on campus the fare can be around $40. To get around Perth, the best investment to make is getting a Smartrider. This allows to tag on, tag off on buses, trains and ferries and provides a discount when compared to buying a ticket every time you choose.

Accommodation, groceries and other expenses:

Living off- campus add a few more expenses to the list. They include things such as grocery shopping, rent, electricity, water and Wi-Fi if you choose to get that. Renting a house results in furnishing the place, having electricity, hot water and having other basic necessities. Due to this the cost of living including these things in around $400 per week when living by yourself and $300-$350 per week in shared housing. One Website that someone can use to get accommodation quickly is Airbnb.

There are different eating options include cooking at home, takeaways and fast food. As moving to a new place adds a new set expenses it is recommended that you bring your clothing from home. This help cut down costs and expenditure.

How much to bring:

  • Under Australia system any amount over $10,000 or equivalence in foreign currency must be declared
  • The individual should bring around at least $1000 to $4000, depending on how quickly they find accommodation and job
  • The cost the course should be paid from home and should be not rely on local earning to pay for your coarse costs.
  • The individual should have access to enough money that will last them at least a month if they can’t find a job

An international student can only earn a maximum of $400 a week, working $20/ hour and work 20 hours a week. Currently the national minimum wage is $17.70 per hour or $672.70/ 38 hour week before any tax reduction. For casual workers the wage is minimum plus at least 25% casual loading. So there are chances that student may not earn this much.

A student should consider all these things before choosing to move is Perth or anywhere. Perth is a great place, and studying at UWA is rewarding the degree is internationally recognisable with a great social and academic life for any international or domestic student.